Cottesmore School Crowned Winners Of The ‘Robot Challenge’
Cottesmore School were recently crowned winners of the ‘Robot Challenge’ at the Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge 2019-2020
On West Sussex, 9th March Cottesmore School was delighted to attend Tomorrow’s Engineers Robotic
Challenge 2019-2020 competition in Hove. The Lego mindstorms event was open to all nationally, of which approximately 500 schools attended. Cottesmore competed in the regional finals for Sussex against 11 other schools in the county. Cottesmore’s team comprised of 7 girls and boys, ranging from Year 6 to Year 8.
During the course of the day, children enjoyed 5 separate challenges, these included:
- The ‘Speed and Control Challenge’ – children were asked to design, build and program a robot to
race in the fastest time.
- The ‘Robot Challenge’ – children were asked to design, build and program their Lego robots to
complete 7 different challenges on the challenge mat.
- The ‘Project Presentation’- this particular challenge focused on climate change. Cottesmore’s
team presented their project on glacial retreat.
- The ‘Team Work Challenge’ – each team was presented with a big box of Lego and asked to build
a bridge with it.
- ‘Robot Design’ – each team was interviewed about their robot design in each challenge.
Cottesmore’s team was thrilled to be named winners in the ‘Robot Challenge’ by the judging panel that
included Tomorrow’s Engineers and other companies with STEM related roles. In addition to winning the ‘Robot Challenge’, Cottesmore’s team also came 3 rd in the ‘Speed and Control’ challenge.
Having attended this event previously, Cottesmore’s Head of Science Tana Purcell is well acquainted with the talent on show. Purcell says “this was a fantastic opportunity for our children to embrace their love for robotics on a much wider scale”. She adds “I’m incredibly proud of the children’s enthusiasm and the creativity that they demonstrated during each challenge. To be named the winner in the ‘Robots Challenge’ is a fantastic achievement.”
To learn more about Cottesmore’s exciting science department, or to arrange a visit of the Pre-prep and Prep school, please contact the Admissions Department on 01293 520648; or by email: