by The Felbridge History Group
This hearty soup is the perfect addition to any autumn table or would make a lovely starter for a Christmas dinner
- 1lb 2oz/ 510g tomatoes, fresh, frozen or canned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 7oz/ 200g chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 1¾ pint/ 1 litre chicken stock
- 3½oz/ 100g smoked ham, cubed (for a spicy kick use diced chorizo sausage)
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- If using fresh tomatoes, blanch in boiling water for 1 minute, remove the skins and chop roughly.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the onion and garlic; fry gently until limp. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chestnuts and simmer for a further 3 minutes. Add the stock then liquidise or purée in batches.
- Return the soup to the pan, add the smoked ham or chorizo and simmer for a few minutes. Serve garnished with chopped flat-leaved parsley.
Taken from Selected Sweet Chestnut Recipes, compiled and published by the Felbridge History Group